Stephen Yurik Law

Phone: 614.228.6885 Two Miranova Place, Suite 500, Columbus, OH 43215

Immigration and Visa Law

Family Based Visasfamily

Citizens and Permanent Residents of the United States can sponsor family members for an Immigrant Visa, commonly known as a “green card.” 


Immediate Relatives

There is no annual limit on the number of Visas available to “immediate relatives” of U.S. citizens, and visas are available to eligible immediate relatives as soon as they can be processed.  Immediate relatives include the following groups:

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Parents of U.S. citizens 
  • Unmarried children of U.S. citizens, under the age of 21


Preference Immigrants

Other relatives who may qualify for immigrant visas fall into the preference categories listed below which affect how soon a visa will become available.  Waiting periods increase with the preference number and can be substantial.       

  • 1st preference - Unmarried adult children of  Citizens  
  • 2nd preference
    • (2)(a) Visas –  spouses and unmarried, minor children of permanent residents
    • (2)(b)Visas – unmarried adult children  of permanent residents
  • 3rd preference – Married adult children of U.S. Citizens
  • 4th preference – Brothers and Sisters of Adult Citizens 

Fiance(e) K-1 Visas

Fiancée visas are available to foreign nationals planning to marry U.S. citizens. The visa allows the foreign national to enter the United States in order to get married to a U.S. citizen. After the marriage, the foreign national can file an application for permanent residency based on the marriage.

The Violence Against Women Act

The Violence Against Women Act allows foreign nationals who have been abused while married to a U.S. Citizen to self petition for lawful permanent residency.

Diversity Lottery Visa

Each year, the Diversity Lottery Program makes 55,000 new immigrant visas available for individuals from underrepresented nations. Administered by the U.S. State Department, the Diversity Lottery Program requires that you have either a high school education, its equivalent, or two years work experience within the last five years in a job which demands two years training. You or your spouse must be a native of a nation eligible for the Diversity Lottery Program.

Find out more about this program, as well as other means of obtaining legal permanent residency in the U.S., by contacting us today to arrange a free consultation.